Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Key Lime Coconut Cake


Guess what I made?---Key Lime Coconut Cake. Doesn't that sound yummy? I had a bottle of Nellie and Joe's Famous Key Lime Juice , a bag of shredded sweetened coconut and a craving for something tropical.
So here is what I did.
I followed the directions on the back of a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix box. BUT, I substituted 1/2 of the water amount w/ Key Lime Juice. I used two cake mixes and made two round cakes. Between the two cake layers, I used Smuckers Pineapple Preserves as a nice spread. Smuckers also has a Mango Jam which I think I would like to try next time I make this cake.
After the cake cooled, I tinted frosting with a drop of green food coloring to add a pastel green look to the cake. I have discovered that my local grocery store, Publix, sells their  butter cream frosting from their bakery in various ounce tubs. I love this frosting b/c it has won awards, it is made fresh daily, and it isn't as sweet as other butter creams so it is very nice, mild, and smooth. They also have a super yummo chocolate frosting which they make daily and it has also won awards. But, they do not sell that one in individual tubs----they keep it under lock and key. haha.
I frosted the cake and then added the coconut around the cake and on top. It was VERY good. However, it was a lot of cake for just the 3 of us to eat which meant others were able to enjoy it too. If I had just made one layer, I might have been more stingy with it. haha.

Sealed with a Kiss, Kirsten
S.W.A.K.

1 comment:

Darla said...

this looks delicious! i was actually craving something coconut today...glad i didn't see this earlier or i would have been baking! :p maybe tomorrow!