Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Danish Butter Cookies and Nostalgia


These tins don't just contain cookies, they contain memories. For as long as I can remember, a tin of Danish Butter Cookies has always been a part of Christmas when growing up. It most certainly has to do with the fact that I am half Danish---my Dad is Danish. An entire half of my family lives in Denmark---Uncles, Aunts, Cousins. My grandparents (now deceased) had 4 boys, the oldest being my Dad. He caught wanderlust(probably inherited wanderlust from his gypsy grandfather, my great-grandfather, which is a whole 'nother story) early on and is the only one from that side of the family in the United States.
 Growing up, my mom would save the empty tins to store sewing supplies, barrettes, bows, or coupons. I would use the empty tins to stash away stickers, photos, notes, interesting articles cut from newspapers, or a cross stitch pattern or latch hook pattern that I would have been working on at the time.
Today, when I see these tins filled with little Danish butter cookies, I can't help but go down Memory Lane. Not only do these tins contain yummy buttery cookies, but they also contain sweet memories.

Sealed with a Kiss, Kirsten
S.W.A.K.

2 comments:

ArtyZen said...

Always had these lovely biscuits and the cheerful tins in England at Christmas - how I wish I'd saved all ours too!

Newton Moses said...

This piece confirms that you are a very talented writer. Thanks a lot for taking some of your quality time to share your childhood memories with us. It is no doubt that one person's tin of delicious cookies is another person's tin of sweet memories. Feel free to click on this link: I Need Assistance with Inserting Endnotes